I did it. I made vegan nutella. It tastes a bit more nutty than the real thing, but hey at least it’s healthier! “Healthy” as in the way that oatmeal raisin cookies are healthier than chocolate chip. No one wins over chocolate chip. Unfortunately I don’t have a hipster picture of my nutella in a jar, so instead I made the recipe fancy (design inspired by this one):
1) Roast the hazelnuts at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
2) Peel the skin off the hazelnuts once they’re cool. It falls off pretty easy. My friend and I talked about our super interesting lives as we peeled them. It’ll make you feel like a 1950’s house wife.
3) Put the nuts in a food processor and process until it forms a thick paste
4) Place all other ingredients in the food processor and blend until it’s creamy goodness.
5) TASTE TEST. Add ingredients as needed (because we don’t all Nutella the same, friends).
Spread it on a everything you can think of. Personally I got it all over my watch… but my favorite thing to put it on is a blueberry bagel or one of those Cat Cookies from Trader Joes 🙂 So good.